I live in a bubble, I really do. I'm not sure when that happened. It wasn't always that way. I am no stranger to life's trials and heartaches. None of us are immune. Yet, more and more I cannot help but think I am the luckiest person on the planet. Although, perhaps my happiness stems from recognizing and celebrating the good things in my life rather than dwelling on the not-so-good things? I have come to believe that negatives can be undermined by positives. So, that means you have to put your positives in the spotlight in order to keep the negatives in the wings…or better yet, to toss those negatives into the gutter behind the theatre of your life.
I used to keep a "grateful" journal. Each night I'd write three things that I was grateful for that day. Eventually, I internalized it and, while the journal still resides in my nightstand, I rarely write in it. Instead, I say it out loud. To my husband. To myself. To the universe. I thought I'd share some things in my life that I am grateful for, that make me want to do a happy dance just thinking about them.
1. My good health. I begin every day with a thankful nod to it. For, without it, my bubble might pop.
2. My husband. Best friends, we tell each other "I love you" every single day. More importantly, we mean it.
3. My two little dogs. They make my heart swell with love and maternal instinct, and they make me laugh every day.
4. My home. Pastoral, mountain and ocean views, it is an ever-changing watercolour outside my living room window. It reminds me every day that I am but a small part of something bigger, and that helps keep things in perspective.
5. My writing. The artist in me craves creativity and writing feeds that part of my soul. Add to that 100% support from DH and the time to pursue it, well, how lucky can a gal get?
6. My friends. Old and new, near and far. They don't allow me to slip into an insular writer's world. Instead, they insist that I come out and play and always reach out when I am MIA too long.
7. Books. I stinkin' love books. From romance novels to picture books to atlases, surround me, submerge me, freakin' drown me in books. I adore the look of them, the feel of them in my hands and I love, love, love getting lost in them.
8. Champagne. It's a good thing I am not rich. I would live on the stuff. Mind you, even in my quiet little life there is always a reason to pop a bottle of bubbly.
9. Chocolate. We enjoy a piece of chocolate every day. It is decadent and delicious.
10. Gardening. I have always loved planning a flower garden. Now I have seven raised beds waiting for my exploration into vegetable gardening…and a climate that makes this new endeavour oh so exciting.
I urge you to make a list and to focus on the great things in your every day. To the best of our knowledge, we only get one chance at this thing called life. Let's kick up our heels a little and celebrate all things good.