Saturday 6 December 2014

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. --Jorge Luis Borges


The Kobo is a great addition to my technology collection. I mean, how can you not appreciate being able to take a large diverse library with you when you travel? Next Issue provides the same convenience, the sheer quantity of magazines at the press of a button somewhat thrilling.

Yet, I still love the feel of the real McCoy. There is nothing like opening a new book, the paper crisp beneath my fingers, the sense of anticipation as I turn each page. I can't imagine a world without hardcopy versions of my favourites lining my bookshelves. Sometimes I am passing by and have to stop to touch the spines, just connecting with them bringing me pleasure. (I must confess, I fondle books at retail stores too, relishing opening them up for an illicit peek, but let's just keep that between you and me.)

I am all for progress and change and certainly support the eBook trade. But, let's not forget our old friend, the book book. Pick one up once in a while, feel the comfort of its weight, and appreciate how it brings you, not just to a new place but back to a time when simple pleasures were, well, simple.


(Thank you friends on CompuServe for sharing this video: The Power of a Bookbook.)

4 comments:

  1. First, I love the bookbook commercial! When people rave over how they love books and will never buy an ebook I ask 'do you like reading, or do you like books'. I do love books, but I also love reading, and ebooks give us different options for reading. And now I don't have to argue with hubby how many books I can pack when we travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, having access to books is the most important thing. I just hope we don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater. A virtual library or bookstore just isn't the same. And, fondling the kobo just doesn't bring the same pleasure. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love IKEA in general, but the bookbook commercial is just brilliant! Thanks for sharing, Rose, I don't think I would have seen it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete

A huge part of publishing a book is promotion. If researching a story is a rabbit hole, creating promo material is a black hole. There is an...